Minutes 20141118

Minutes for 11/18/2014 Board Meeting

 

Meeting called to order @ 7:50pm Santa Teresa Community Library

 

Present: Vicky Ramirez, Jeff Canter, Brad Scadden, Chris Morello, Joe Schumacher, Steve Donohue, Jesse Perez, Larry Ramirez, Monica Frame, Brent Frame, Steve Donohue, Jim Correa, Jesse Perez, Steve Selbo, Scott Johnson, Alex Villeneda, Andrea Villeneda, Ty Rafferty, Thom Mercurio, Valerie Deshong, Mark Gomez, Brian Folden, Gary Buck, Gil Barretto, Thanh Barretto, John Tran, Tim Gordon

 

Guests:Positive Coaching Alliance representative

 

  1. President:

    1. Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) will be attending and will speak in regards to their program.

      1. wants to work with STLL to make league better with parents and league

      2. workshops provided to coach, 60-90 min, how to keep kids interested and engaged during practices and teaching good sportsmanship

      3. workshops for parents: 30 min course, intro to PCA courses, 90 min is more in-depth, much more for team managers who will then pass on info to parents

        1. can have 3 workshops in 1 day to get as many people to attend as possible

        2. normally, there’s a LL person in charge, and email to parents on a weekly basis about tips and ideas

      4. Executives/leaders workshops: how to be effective, run LL smoothly.

      5. $1300 for full packet, but flexible with program

      6. LL is a sponsor, but only allows for an introduction to the program, not the training

      7. can do 5-500 coaches, but 60-80 is ideal for coaches workshops

      8. no data about  long term effectiveness

      9. 2 weeks is efficient in setting up a workshop.

      10. please think about it, as we will decide to go with this program or not at the next board meeting

    2. Introducing Jim to the Board for Challenger program (baseball program for special education players).

    3. Update on the president’s meeting with district:

      1. Tournaments for all- stars will be assigned by district (or volunteered), possibly more by age.

      2. Rule change is players will need to keep 1 foot in the box between pitches to speed up game; didn’t mention penalty, and what division this will affect

      3. The baseball age will change in 2018 (we are only league planning and discussing this)

      4. Pushing Intermediate program as Little League has doubled in that division nationally over last year.; making Majors 10-11, and Intermediate 12-13yos

      5. DA chastised 10 of 13 leagues for finances (Gilroy, STLL, and Evergreen) only people to audit their own by using accountant.; STLL has one of the best finances.

    4. Quick power point regarding meeting tonight.

      1. Looked over surveys from last year to review some stuff and to make sure that we keep these in mind as we move forward. The areas that parents were most concerned about are:

        1. Fields

        2. Rules clarifications

        3. Expectations vs. Reality of what parents expect:

          1. Fields: If we have field problems, everyone needs to help out, not just the same person/people doing all the fixings. We need to all commit and help out as much as we can, instead of waiting for someone else to do it.

          2. Uniforms: We provide the basics, and if we can afford more, we look at the budget and see where the needs are

        4. STLL has some money to spend this season, but we don’t need Cadillacs if the basics or mid-line meets the league’s needs.

          1. Funds are from registration and sponsorships. We can do 1 active fundraiser a year, but can have as many “passive” fundraisers as we want.

    5. Current resignation and any questions: some folks resigned; Frank Williamson resigned for his personal reasons.

  • President role in the League:  

    • The president has many responsibilities in the administration of the league. Each President is elected by, and is accountable to, the local league board of directors. Duties of a president are described within the limits of the rules and regulations, and within the local league constitution, giving each president the ability to oversee the affairs of all elements of the league.

    • As the chief administrator, the president selects and appoints managers, coaches, umpires and committees. As such, no person becomes a manager, coach, umpire or committee member without the approval of the president. However, all appointments are subject to final approval by the local league's board of directors.

    • Importantly, the president is the officer with whom Little League International maintains contact. The president also represents the league in the District organization.

    • The president should be the most informed officer of the league. Each president must know the regulations under which Little League operates and in authorizing the annual application for charter, binds all members of the league to faithfully observe the regulations. Little League Baseball International Headquarters reserves the right to require a league to remove any officer who does not carry out the terms of charter application. Serious violation can result in loss of the league's charter by action of the Charter Committee in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

    • Beyond the requirements of league administration, the president should personify the best public image in reflection to the community at large. Each president should take an active role in gaining support and winning friends for the league program.

    • The president presides at league meetings, and assumes full responsibility for the operation of the local league. The president receives all mail, supplies and other communications from the Little League Headquarters. A president may manage, coach or umpire, provided he/she does not serve on the protest committee, nor serve as tournament team manager or coach.

  • President. The President shall:

    • (a) Conduct the affairs of the Local League and execute the policies established by the Board of Directors.

    • (b) Present a report of the condition of the Local League at the Annual Meeting.

    • (c) Communicate to the Board of Directors such matters as deemed appropriate, and make such suggestions as may tend to promote the welfare of the Local League.

    • (d) Be responsible for the conduct of the Local League in strict conformity to the policies, principles, Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball, Incorporated, as agreed to under the conditions of charter issued to the Local League by that organization.

    • (e) Designate in writing other officers, if necessary, to have power to make and execute for/and in the name of the Local League such contracts and leases they may receive and which have had prior approval of the Board.

    • (f) Investigate complaints, irregularities and conditions detrimental to the Local League and report thereon to the Board or Executive Committee as circumstances warrant.

    • (g) Prepare and submit an annual budget to the Board of Directors and be responsible for the proper execution thereof.

    • (h) With the assistance of the Player Agent, examine the application and support proof-of age documents of every player candidate and certify to residence and age eligibility before the player may be accepted for tryouts and selection.

  1. Treasurer

    1. Financial Report

      1. started taking spring registration and they are coming in pretty regularly

    2. Bank Cards: re-ordered new ones so will pick them up at the bank

    3. Taxes

      1. Return is on an extension (no cost) due to a number we're waiting for from the State Attorney General's Office, but the taxes are completed

      2. Change fiscal year to end on 9/30, doing a short-period return from 7/1 to 9/30, to align with LL’s fiscal year.

        1. Will re-align budget with fiscal for the following year

    4. Budget Update: same as last time; not much in or out

    5. Wish List Items submitted

      1. Scott/Jesse: Fencing for Anderson phase I (backstop and netting)

      2. Scott/Jesse: Fencing for Anderson phase II (baselines)

      3. Monica: Photography Memory-mate for every player

      4. Monica: Yearbooks for players and sponsors

      5. Brian: Umpire uniforms and equipment

      6. Please send any other wish list by Dec. 9th to Steve D.

        1. rank in order of importance so Finance Team can decide

  2. Safety Officer Report:

    1. Joe and Division Director needs to meet with Brian to put together Safety Binder;

    2. please meet to have it ready by spring

    3. please also make sure that manager has ice-packs in their bags at all times

  3. Player Agent

    1. Registration Updates: 150 signups right now; 3-4 a day; will put another email out about discount until end of Nov.

    2. Help for upcoming dates: will look for people to help

      1. Thu 12/4 6-9pm (4-5 people needed)

      2. Sat 1/3  12-4pm (7-8 people needed)

      3. Sat 1/10 1:30 - 5:30pm (7-8 people needed)

    3. Opening Day: March 7

    4. Tryouts (already placed on league calendar)

      1. Juniors/intermediate

        1. Sunday, Jan. 25, 10 a.m.

        2. Saturday, Jan. 31, 10 a.m.

      2. Ages 7-12, Jan. 17, 24 (will assign everyone to a slot at next meeting)

      3. Joe suggest asking lower division managers, will make list to see how many people are needed and then will recruit them

    5. Draft dates (tentative)--

      1. Juniors/intermediate, Monday, Feb. 2, 6/7 p.m.

      2. Majors, Wednesday, Feb. 4, 6 p.m.

      3. AAA, Friday, Feb. 6, 6 p.m.

      4. AA, Saturday, Feb. 7, 10 a.m.

  4. Fields

    1. Review of Fields Meetings

      1. Minutes

      2. t-ball will also be playing during the week and stretching out Saturday; may also use Allen at Steinbeck

      3. need designated place for bullpen at the field.

      4. lots of wish list

      5. sent email to fall division directors to clean out shed, what needs to be there, to get back to Jesse by end of November.

      6. Ideally get everything by spring try-outs

      7. Joe: If we are to get a sponsor to donate to take care of a field, would it be better to fix up a nonfunctional field, or apply the money to these different items for the various fields? (like fix up the Taylor field)

      8. What’s prioritize will depend on what district says

      9. porta-potties will be picked up until tryouts to save money

      10. let Steve S. know about Gunderson--Jesse will email him

    2. Brad - Chalk Pick up and drop off: need to do this ASAP.

      1. Store at Joe’s warehouse: Brad will coordinate with Joe

  5. Equipment/Uniforms: 2 color, small logo; t-ball/a: no collar; AA/AAA--button; Majors: piping on seams and sleeves; Intermediate/Jrs, similar to last year with white on the sides

    1. hats

      1. tball-AAA will be adjustable, 2 colors, flat-stitched;

      2. majors-intermediate will have the universal hat and flat-stitched.

      3. might be over a little bit on the budget, but not by much.

      4. all-stars: will discuss designs at next meeting

      5. coaches’ polo: similar as last year

      6. board members’ shirts?

      7. ask managers turn in extra players shirts

    2. Equipment: Thursday 5-6pm to turn in and Monday again 5-6pm at Taylor shed. Good in term of budget thus far.

      1. Division director please send out to managers and get a response back from them that they will drop off equipment.

      2. more info next meeting, as there will be another Equipment/Uniforms meeting TBA

  6. Information Officer:

    1. very few STLL pictures on website right now; please send more to Gil so he could place on website

    2. umpire schedule will be sent out like game reminders

    3. if you have parents who don’t receive emails, let Gil know so he can fix it, as their emails might be blocking STLL emails

  7. Division Directors

    1. T-Ball: great

    2. 8U: good

    3. 12U: no complaints

 

  1. Concessions: thanks to Joe for the soda donations

  2. UIC: nothing

  3. Sponsorship/Special Events:

    1. Opening Day: Will be held at Frost for parking purposes because we ccan use the church parking lot (just need to ask them)

    2. pictures that day also: on t-ball fields

    3. noon: start majors or intermediate game, and another game after that (2 games that day)

    4. carnival: bounce houses, dunk tanks, games

    5. Joe will do food again, and will also bring another truck in

    6. no baskets this year, but will do silent auction if there are donations

    7. fundraiser: team parents will let team know that they need to get $500 from sponsors

      1. Rally’s and Lucky’s: get cards and register to get back  a percentage of purchases

      2. Jesse: Target will help with landscaping, so just talk to manager

      3. Parade start with the oldest kids, ending with t-ballers last

      4. Monica is taking care of photographer

      5. Will send letter out between Thanksgiving and December that talks about everyone is a volunteer and can contribute their Time, Talent or Treasure, and to help with what they can. Also talk about specific needs of league and see if parents have connections to get the league a discount for whatever item we may need

      6. “ASK”

        1. need to make ASK list of things that people can donate, so we don’t need to purchase or purchase at a discount

      7. Christmas in Park: sent out letter, and the ask was gentle, but those who signed up are only board members.

        1. Division directors: please send out to your managers and make sure they are sending it to their parents

  4. Coaching Director

    1. SJSU Coaching Clinic 1/31

    2. Committee meeting: Tuesday 11/25, 7pm Santa Teresa and Snell Round Table. Please attend if you can make it.

 

  1. Miscellaneous:

    1. Photographer: Jim Nelson photography; asking Finance committee for about 2K to purchase memory mates for each player

    2. Survey for end of fall ball? Chris will bring it up in Tuesday’s Coaching meeting

    3. Thursday 11/20: meeting with city for pricing for usage of fields on Allen at Steinbeck for however many days we need;

      1. costs: Steinbeck is $30/hr; Ramac $20, Cahalan $4/hr; if we buy fence for Steinbeck, then we can get the cost calculated into costs.

      2. Saturday, Dec. 6th: locking in 3 more fields. Guaranteed only 1 day a week for each fields.

    4. Send something to Kandice and Jeff from the board

 

  1. Meeting adjourned at 10:07pm

  2. Next meeting: December 16, 7:30pm Santa Teresa Library. Holiday Potluck.